Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Surprise for Sarah

Today a very good friend is bringing his young girl to spend some time with me while he goes into town to do some banking and shopping. I have a very special surprise for her.  I see their car pulling into the driveway now.

She is such a lovely young lady and I am so happy that she has come to spend some time with me today. we stand outside and wave goodbye as dad pulls away and goes down the street.

Sarah and I will have some luch and while we are eating. I am going to tell her how we are going to spend the afternoon together. I have planned a walk into the forest and through the glen I have in the back of my home. Sarah has no idea about the surprise I have planned for her today.

Taking her hand in mine, we started down the path that leads into the forest., I told Sarah about all the animals that I have seen playing in the forest as I take my daily walks. We talked and talked as we walked slowly and enjoyed all the wild flowers and birds that we saw.

As we entered the forest, we could hear something off in the distance, and I put my finger up to my lips and whispered."Shhhhh, listen" We both quietly stood and could distinctly hear what sounded like flutes and harps playing a beautiful song. It was coming from inside the glen.

I had made plans with my friends, the faeries of the glen to bring Sarah for a visit and I could not wait to see the look on her face when she saw them.

All the faeries of the glen love to celebrate and today happens to be one of their favorite days.

Sarah's eyes got so big and wide when she first saw the faeries that she smiled and clapped her hands. Jumping up and down,she said."They are real, they are real!". I smiled from ear to ear and started to laugh. "Yes, Sarah, they are real. I haven't been making up all thoe stories I have been telling you. Those faeries are real and do live here."

Faeries were flying all around and I told Sarah to hold out her arm and open her hand with the palm side up and maybe, just maybe, one of the faeries would land on her hand. She timidly put her arm out and opened up her hand palm side up and smiled. I know she was hoping that one of them would be brave enough to come and stand in her hand.

A few of the faeries flew over and looked at us and smiled then flew away. Poor Sarah's smile went slightly away, but I quietly told her not to be impatient, this is the first time I ever brought a young girl into the glen with me and they have to getr used to seeing her.

The flutes and the harps continued to play and they went from one song to another  as we stood and watched the magic surrounding us. Sarah was transfixed by all the beautiful faeries and I was so happy that I decided to bring her here to meet them.

All of a sudden, it got very quiet and all the faeries settled down, as we watched one of the most beautifu faeries I have ever seen fly out of the woods and approach Sarah and I.

I bowed my head, and Sarah, seeing me do this, bowed hers too. All the faeries bowed their heads also, as this lovely small faerie approached us and landed gently in the palm of Sarah's hand.

Sarah was so excited that I placed my hand under hers to make sure that she kept her palm up and open so the beautiful faerie was safe.

"Hello", I said. "This is my friend Sarah and I am Janice. I had come before Sarah got here to ask permission to bring her into the glen to meet some of my friends, and the Queen siad it would be fine, as long as I made Sarah promise not to tell anyone about all of you living here. I am sure Sarah will keep our little secret, because she would not want any of you to get hurt and have to go away. Right Sarah?" I said.

Sarah was so surprised that all she could do was nod her head. The small faerie smiled at her and nodded back. It had been awhile since I had the time to walk in the woods and visit my friends, so I really didn't know this particular faerie, but by the way the other faeries treated her, I knew she was an important faerie of this clan. She had a beautiful white dress and her hair was the color  of  the sunset, curly and hanging all the way to her waist. She carried a staff in her hand that had a round ball on the top that glowed all the colors of the rainbow. It was magnificent to see.

She slowly raised her staff and all of the other faeries stopped what they were doing. All the flutes and harps became silent. As the staff was raised ab9ove her head, rays of light shot out and the ball began to revolve around very slowly. So many beautiful colors, rainbows of colors shooting out in all directions. It was a truly beautiful sight to behold.

Sarah reached out with her hand and took mine and squeezed it tight. I looked at her and we both smiled. How wonderful to be able to experience this wonderful event together.

When the faerie began to speak colors of light turned into sparkles and gently fell all around the glen. It looked like Multi-colored snow gently setting on all the trees, bushes and ground. Sarah and I were covered also.

"My name is Precious", She said. "I am one of the Princesses  of this glen. My job is to make sure that  all the colors of the rainbow always shine brightly and that after every rainfall the rainbow comes out so that all will be able to enjoy its beautiful colors. There have been many fables told about my rainbows, some even stating that a pot of gold can be found at the end of them", She smiled. "I will not say if that is true or not, you will have to decide for yourself about that one. Some of these stories are true and others are just stories made u0p and passed from one generation to another to entertain people not of our world. We are so happy that you came to see us. It isn't often that we get to meet such a lovely young lady. Most of the time we go to visit our young friends while they are sleeping and we scatter our very special faerie dust on them so they have happy dreams. So, Sarah, if you wake up some morning and you see smal multi-colored sprinkles on your bed or pillow, it was just one or two of us that came to visit you while you slept. If you see them, gather them up and put them in a small container and save them. They are very special and not many get to keep them. When you feel sad, just take a pinch out and sprinkle over your head and you will get a feeling of happiness come over you."

Time was passing so quickly and darkness had decended on the glen. I told Sarah it was time to go home and I thanked our hostess and she flew away into the forest.

As we walked through the glen and the forest, all the faeries flew around us with their wands oflight so that we could see our way out easily. Sarah was so excited and asked me if we could go back some other time when her dad had to go to town and she came to stay with me while he was gone. I smiled, and told her that it would be fine with me and I knew it would be fine with my faerie friends.

We no sooner sat down in my kitchen with a cup of hot chocolate and some cookies, when Sarah's dad pulled into my driveway in his truck.

He walked in the door and smiled. "Ok, What have the two of you been doing all this time I have been away?" He said, as he walked over to hug and kiss Sarah.

I looked over my cup at Sarah and winked. We both started giggling and then really laughing. Sarah's dad just looked at us as if we both had lost our marbles. "Well?" He said. "What have you two been up too?"

"Oh, nothing much." I said. "Sarah and I went for a walk into the woods and then we came back her to have some hot chocolate and cookies."

Sarah put her head back and started to laugh and holding her stomach as she did, because she was laughing so hard. I sat there and just smiled as a confused dad just looked from one of us to the other. Poor dad. He didn't have a clue that Sarah and I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon and a great secret.

 

 

 

 

No comments: